Tutorial – some negative notes

Notice: This thread is very old.
karelb
Member | 17
+
-

Hello,

I have some negative words to the turorial,

• there are some mistakes there, that are already corrected on github, but not corrected on the actual website. I guess nobody cares about the website.
  • the same can be said about the comments. There are comments pointing out the errors, several months old, but again, nobody cares I guess
  • even when I corrected some of the errors (as a total beginner with nette) and put them on github as pull request, I got many comments about the mistakes I did in the corrections (I agree with that – as I say, I began with Nette few days ago), but nobody corrected my mistakes (I guess – again – that nobody cares enough), nobody pulled my corrections, in general, it seems like nobody really cares.
  • edit: the “nobody cares” attitude is demonstrated best by the fact that there are two tutorials, one “quickstart”, one “book”, where the “book” is just a few chapters, but nobody bothered to delete it.

Also, even when those comments were right, it seems overly negative and really discouraging from further activity on making it better.

You want to be known outside of Czech Republic. You won't be by essentially ignoring any feedback about this website. I think. But those are just my impressions.

Last edited by karelb (2013-11-25 22:59)

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

GitHub has extremely stupid iterface for viewing differences in text files as it does not support word wrap. Therefore it is for me currently hard to see what you have actually changed. There are some mostly minor things for which I can not merge automatically and the manual processing would take probably more then an hour which is time I currently dont have to spare.

karelb
Member | 17
+
-

Yeah, github is far from ideal, but that's not a decision I made :)

I think wiki would be better (it actually encourages editing more) but it seems like it was here and was abandoned for gihub (there are links on the top that suggest this used to be a wiki).