Nette needs its own blog (official, recent information place)

Notice: This thread is very old.
medhi
Generous Backer | 255
+
-

This blogpost (czech) just reminded me this.

I thought about it already on Poslední sobota meeting, during Jan Tvrdík's talk. He talked about news in Nette 2.1 and it was very nice and understandable. He picked up things, which have changed from 2.0 and said what is different, one by one. “OK”, I thought, “That's interesting, but I won't remember that all, so is that list somewhere on the web? Why not? It should be in a blogpost called ‘Nette 2.1 is out. Here's the List of changes and news’.” But.. Nette doesn't have an official blog. You can find some news somewhere in the forum, something on David's phpfashion.com blog. But I think it should be on one official place.

The Blog should contain (some things from forum, but officialized):

• Announcements about new versions + list of new features, BC breaks etc.
  • Announcements about important changes in direction of development (David's last announcement about stop being the main and only developer)
  • Tips, tricks, best practices
  • Interesting achievements
  • Recommendations from authorities – “Now, Nette Database is safe to use, better than Dibi”
  • you will find more, I am sure.

The point is to let users be sure about some things, to officially inform us. Because there is lack of (official) information. And maybe that's the Nette's problem, not its qualities.

Blog is sexy, blog sells (forum not), journalists will watch it, I will have it in my RSS reader and I would be sure, that I will never miss anything important about Nette ecosystem.

What do you think?

Eda
Backer | 220
+
-

I think its great idea.

But, there must be someone, who will “do it” (programm it, integrate it into nette.org site etd) and David must agree with it and move some older articles from his blog here.

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

Agreed, I've talked about blog after Poslední sobota with @Milo and nAS (and probably with few others as well).

Aurielle
Member | 1281
+
-

I agree with a lot of points @medhi mentioned. Especially the one about not missing anything that happens in the ecosystem. Now, there is not enough information about the framework itself easily visible for the majority of users, even I sometimes miss new releases or BC breaks/fixes/new features/whatever, if I stop reading the forum for a while. And that's really something that needs to be changed.

Another thing is that a lot of people know about David's phpfashion.com, but not everyone does, it's not in English (contrary to the way Nette is currently getting to, the internationalization of the framework), and it can't be regarded as ‘official’.

I'm sure that getting more and more people to know and understand the current situation of Nette via proposed blog can only bring new code, pull requests, paragraphs in documentation and so on. And maybe less idiots will appear in comments, as opposed to the annoncement on Zdrojak :)

David Grudl
Nette Core | 8082
+
-

The intention to create blog and somehow connect it with pla.nette.org I have for two years, but never time to finish it.