native connection to blockchain planned?

jdan1131x
Member | 41
+
-

blockchain will replace SQL 100% over the
next 10 years.

if you disagree of course
thats ok, but you may wish to take a good look
at Hyperledger Fabric at the Linux Foundation
and on Github…

any thing in the works at Nette to have
Nette\BlockchainDB ?

thanks very much,
James

Marek Bartoš
Nette Blogger | 1173
+
+11
-

„PHP is dead, use Ruby/Hack/NodeJS/…“
„SQL is dead, use Object database/NoSQL/blockchain/…“

We were there, many, many times. Still a very naive opinion that whole industry is gonna change because of some new revolution.

Hyperledger fabric has its usecases, but replacing existing database types is just not gonna happen. It's build on top of other (mostly NoSQL) databases and solves a specific problem, it's not universal solution for all problems related to storing data.

Last edited by Marek Bartoš (2021-05-27 19:22)

dsar
Backer | 53
+
+2
-

jdan1131× wrote:

blockchain will replace SQL 100% over the
next 10 years.

I really can't see how a general solution is outclassed by a specific solution.

A blockchain is a sort of linked list with nodes tied by hashes, so immutability is guarranted, nothing more and nothing less.
I can't see how it can be used for different structures and cases, especially those that requires mutability.

any thing in the works at Nette to have
Nette\BlockchainDB ?

Not needed, just for the record you can create a blockchain on top of a SQL database (I do this), just create a table with linked rows by hashes.

There are some use-cases for a blockchain in my work, for example the General Ledger in Accounting where you store all transactions between accounts. It is an insert-only table where no update must occur, but if more programs access the database (and this is my case), there is no guaranty that it will be really immutable over time.
In that case organizing that table in a blockchain fashion is very useful to guarantee immutability.

But except some cases like this, I see no reason to use a blockchain

jdan1131x
Member | 41
+
-

Marek Bartoš wrote:

„PHP is dead, use Ruby/Hack/NodeJS/…“
„SQL is dead, use Object database/NoSQL/blockchain/…“

We were there, many, many times. Still a very naive opinion that whole industry is gonna change because of some new revolution.

Hyperledger fabric has its usecases, but replacing existing database types is just not gonna happen. It's build on top of other (mostly NoSQL) databases and solves a specific problem, it's not universal solution for all problems related to storing data.

i was an early investor in apple. 1983.
people said the same thing as you back then, about apple.
i never sold those shares.

James

Marek Bartoš
Nette Blogger | 1173
+
+1
-

Still curious how it's gonna replace existing databases when its build on top of them :D