Skynette – brewery fictional project as an advanced tutorial

chemix
Nette Core | 1296
+
+6
-

We love Nette Framework and we also love beer. It's a great start for something new ;-) Isn't it?

New tutorial

As You know, in Nette Framework documentation is section Quick Start. This section is helpfull when You are beginner, but what is the next step? There are more code examples https://github.com/contributte at github and You can find some next steps in the nette forum as well. But sometimes is to hard to do this next steps. Stop using simple database access, use more components and do simpler Presenters, and more…

At Nette Camp 2019 we discussed how to change it. Our solusion is: to bring new step by step tutorial about how to build bigger project then blog only.

Base idea is our new Fictional browery – Skynette:

• we build simple presentation website
  • we refactore some code in every new episode and bring new functionality
  • we are opened for new ideas

I Want to help You…

We are looking for You, who want to help us, with corrections, ideas, testing and more…

write email to: hello@honzacerny.com
subject: “Skynette – i want to help you”
text: write me which part you can help us

chemix
Nette Core | 1296
+
+5
-

Main Ideas

• ORM + DDD – Doctrine
  • Modules
  • Components
  • Router
  • ACL
  • AJAX
  • Webpack
  • API

share your ideas

TonnyVlcek
Member | 31
+
+3
-

Few ideas:

• A lot of the new applications will have to run in the cloud somewhere so creating this project on docker and dealing with the ins and outs of running a Nette application in a container would be helpful, I think.
  • Dealing with tasks that can run in the background (queues) – e.g. include a solution where sending an email won't happen during the clients request. (Maybe I'm getting to much into the specifics here, but sooner or later everyone bumps into this and it'd be cool to build applications with this in mind from the start).
  • Also having migrations (and a way to execute them) is a must. However I think you might've covered this in the Doctrine bullet point.
Toanir
Member | 57
+
+2
-

How deep are you going to dig into the modules? Do you plan to examine the DI's compiler extensions?

Recently I fell in love with those because they provide a simple and clean way to setup each part of system without bloating the config.neon (or some other included) file.

Last edited by Toanir (2019-09-02 10:58)

Toanir
Member | 57
+
+1
-

Also it might be worth noting that testing is/should be a thing. Maybe dip in testing across the application layers – which kinds of tests make sense for which components…

I perceive development that it consists of persistent testing and when developer uses classic combo dump-exit to achieve their goal, they essentially write and execute a manual test.. and then delete it.
That, I consider a minor shame because the test has been written, the code passed it and only because the test was written in ineffective way / wrong place, it could not be automatized and had to be removed.

Imho guiding developers to an easy and effective way of testing would be hella rad.

kocourPB
Member | 47
+
-

TonnyVlcek wrote:

Few ideas:

• A lot of the new applications will have to run in the cloud somewhere so creating this project on docker and dealing with the ins and outs of running a Nette application in a container would be helpful, I think.

+1

Zuben45
Member | 268
+
+2
-

I would like see tests (nette tester or phpUnit), own Route.

Maybe should be good add some recommended literature if it'll be possible.

vojtamares
Member | 26
+
+5
-

Hey guys, the question is simple. How it is going? All posts (in czech thread included) are 11 days+ old.

I think we got kind a stuck at features and we had some sparks and flames for using (or not) of some technologies.

At Nette Camp it sounded like we got a lot figured allready but now it does not seem like it at all.

Let's remove some features to keep it simple (and maintainable!)

Also, anyone can continue writing after the basic tutorial is finished and there can be many more things built on top of the tut, make your own blog series about advanced/pro tips & tricks!

We can't do everything in tutorial which targets juniors to become mediors!

vojtamares
Member | 26
+
+1
-

vojtamares wrote:

Hey guys, the question is simple. How it is going? All posts (in czech thread included) are 11 days+ old.

I think we got kind a stuck at features and we had some sparks and flames for using (or not) of some technologies.

At Nette Camp it sounded like we got a lot figured allready but now it does not seem like it at all.

Let's remove some features to keep it simple (and maintainable!)

Also, anyone can continue writing after the basic tutorial is finished and there can be many more things built on top of the tut, make your own blog series about advanced/pro tips & tricks!

We can't do everything in tutorial which targets juniors to become mediors!

Skynette status report #1

I've got in touch with @chemix on Slack and I was told that there has been many people offering help with testing, but not much with writing the real code and most importantly, writing the article itself.

So after a few thoughts and getting some my work done, I decided to give a hand with that and try booting it up.

Also, @chemix will be attending WebExpo (great conf, can you get me a ticket ?) so he will be mostly busy and I will report on any updates probably after.

You can see the progress at my GitHub fork (https://github.com/…res/skynette) and do not forget to give a star to the original Skynette repository !

See ya!

Edit
Sorry for the delay on report vol.2 since Fall semester already started, I am getting back to ‘school mode’.

I have freetime on friday so I hope I can get my hands on it again and finishing it up :-)

Last edited by vojtamares (2019-09-30 23:40)

Petr Parolek
Member | 455
+
+1
-

I would like to help with programming.

chemix
Nette Core | 1296
+
+2
-

@ppar in the first post, there is a way how to contribute

vojtamares
Member | 26
+
-

Skynette status report vol. 2

There is not much left to do, check out my fork: https://github.com/…res/skynette

Only a few things:

• make form as a component
  • remove all debug dumps etc.
  • check twice that everything is ok

And then I “just” need to write the article.
I will do my best and soon not three months later from now, I am hoping for next week + weekend, but no promises.
After that, it has to go through a review cycle, from technical perspective and also language, we do not want big mistakes.

I may post a beta version of the article, but most likely it will be a gist in texy or a PR to Nette documentation – which is going to be home of the articles.

See you soon-ish

Last edited by vojtamares (2019-11-15 00:10)

+
-

My ‘thing’ is writing tutorials (see my site phpro.org)
I would enjoy being part of this documentation, by writing the actual documentation. I can liaise with the developers, and, write clear, and concise, instructions for implementing the code which the developers created.

vojtamares
Member | 26
+
+2
-

First part in terms of code is ready, check the PR: https://github.com/…nette/pull/1

Now we need to write the article, which hopefully won't take as long as the code.

Feedback is welcome.