Nette Framework 2.1.0 RC released!

Notice: This thread is very old.
David Grudl
Nette Core | 8129
+
-

Nette Framework 2.1.0 RC has just been released and is now available for download.

This topic is in “Discussion on development”, because we need to create Release Announcements. There is basic document https://doc.nette.org/…tions/to-2-1, but it is not complete and accurate. So please try to update it on Github. I will update Forms section, because there are a lot of things that need to be explained.

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

Does anyone know any tool that can perform diff on API?
Edit: I started working on it =)
Edit2: done

enumag
Member | 2118
+
-

@Jan Tvrdík: You might want to omit the private methods and properties.

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

@enumag: Maybe another time, the generated diff is good enough for me.

I went over all API changes (except for Forms and Database which I've intentionally ignored) and tried to describe them in the document. After realizing that there are simply too many BC breaks I split them into four categories:

1. Stuff deprecated in Nette 2.0 that no longer works
    • This should be hopefully clear.
  2. Stuff deprecated in Nette 2.1 that still works
    • Should I mention which of them trigger E_USER_DEPRECATED error and which of them does not?
    • This list is still incomplete, because I checked only API change.
  3. Stuff with modified behavior
    • This one is not that clear.
  4. Stuff that is really broken
    • This should be “the classic BC breaks” aka things which worked fine in 2.0 and no longer works in 2.1 (mostly removed methods)

Can anyone think of a better word than “Stuff”?

vvoody
Member | 910
+
-

typo in your document

BC Breaks → Stuff deprecated in Nette 2.0 that no longer works → Application

use getParameters() and setParameters() instead

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

I've split the deprecated stuff into even more categories. Now its more accurate and probably even harder to read.

@vvoody: thx, fixed

Another attempt to make it more organized

Another question: The document now describes changes to 2.0.13. Shouldn't we describe changes to 2.0.0? For example Configurator::isProductionMode() is not deprecated in 2.0.0, but is deprecated in 2.0.13.

Last edited by Jan Tvrdík (2013-11-28 10:10)

enumag
Member | 2118
+
-

@Jan Tvrdík: I've made some fixes to that document but it didn't allow me to actually commit it. If I didn't expected that all of my changes would have been lost permanently (that should be fixed imho – the edited text should be loaded after error). Luckily I've made a backup: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/…te%20API.txt

Last edited by enumag (2013-11-28 11:18)

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

enumag wrote: I've made some fixes to that document but it didn't allow me to actually commit it.

For what reason? You must have push permissions to be able to commit (obviously). Pull request support is not implemented, although it probably wouldn't be hard. Feel free to send a pull request =)

If I didn't expected that all of my changes would have been lost permanently

Everybody is warned with alert when they first load the editor.

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

I completed my hopefully final update of the changelog. It is quite long as a consequence of late release of Nette 2.1 even though parts about Forms and Database are not yet completed.

I think it would be good to post a series of articles (or threads, since Nette does not have an official blog) about the most important new features and BC breaks. What do you think guys?

petr.pavel
Member | 535
+
-

series of articles: yes, please!