How to pass data to @layout.latte

Notice: This thread is very old.
TonnyVlcek
Member | 31
+
-

Hey,
I have my “main” template @layout.latte and inside I'm trying to display some information about user:
e.g. Name, which is easy to do: {$user->getIdentity()->name} but what if I have to show for example name of a group the user is par of?
I can easily show that group's id (which is foreign key in database) using {$user->getIdentity()->group_id} but when I need to display the name, I'm not sure how to do that :/

If it would have been a “normal” template I would use its presenter and

public function render<TemplateName>(){
	$this->template->group_name = $this->groupRepository->getGroupName($group_id);
}

Do you have an idea how to do this with @layout or how to show the name of the group using that global variable $user?
Thank you very much for your time :)

Aurielle
Member | 1281
+
+2
-

Just fill the template somewhere early in the run cycle of the presenter – beforeRender method, for example. To accomplish this for all presenters, use common ancestor (BasePresenter) or trait.

TonnyVlcek
Member | 31
+
-

Okay, I did this:

1. I injected my groupRepository to BasePresenter:

/** @var  \Namespace\Model\GroupRepository @inject*/
public $groupRepository;

2. In method beforeRender I'm testing if user is logged in and if he is then I'm getting informations about his group and passing them to variable $groups which becomes “global” variable for all my templates (right?)

public function beforeRender()
    {
        if($this->user->isLoggedIn()){
            $this->template->group = $this->groupRepository->getGroupById($this->user->id);
        }
    }

Now everything works how it's suppose to, but I feel like I kind of broke the DI because now I can use $groupRepository in all of my presenters without injecting it from the model for each one and more over I can use that “global” variable $group in all of my templates (whenever user is logged in).
Is all that alright, or I'm breaking some best practice conventions?

David Kudera
Member | 455
+
-

personally I would use inject*() methods in base presenters and injecting via constructor in their children. So no injecting to public properties with @inject annotation. But I know, that there are some people who will say that this is not good (and I don't know why ;-)

greeny
Member | 405
+
-

Well it often leads to long strips of code like

public function injectFoo(Foo $foo, Bar $bar, Baz $baz, SomeService $someService, UselessStuff $uselessStuf) {
	$this->foo = $foo;
	$this->bar = $bar;
	$this->baz = $baz;
	$this->someService = $someService;
	$this->uselessStuff = $uselessStuff;
}

And you still have to define the properties (yes, you can have them protected or private now, but you still have public inject method), so it is much much longer than only adding @inject to property doc comment (which i personally add even for non-injected properties)