Uploading on GitHub correctly

Notice: This thread is very old.
andering
Member | 7
+
-

Hello,

I would like to ask questions.

1. If i understood correctly, so Nette community prefer to i write to English forum in English than on Czech forum in Czech :), am i right ?
  2. I'm novice in Nette (even my registration is from 2010 :). I'm just preparing first pull of my first extension on Git hub and i would like to clarify few things to avoid entering into some “faux pas” or disrespect. I used @brabijan ImageStorage extension to learn some basic stuff, so i transformed it to extension which suits to my needs. On beginning it was similar but now its more different than similar :) and still uncompleted. So my question is if i should mentioned Mr. @brabijan as sign of my thankfulness in code or somewhere and if yes than where ? Or if i should do some further git or nette or community procedure ?

Thank you kindly for answer.

Šaman
Member | 2635
+
-

Be honest – if you ask english at english forum, i cant answer you if answer is longer that few theorems. And many other users too.

Jan Tvrdík
Nette guru | 2595
+
-

@andering Well, it depends on the license of ImageStorage.

andering
Member | 7
+
-

@JanTvrdík Thank you for your respond. It inherits licence from Nette, so its New BSD and/or GPL. To make myself more clear, i understand technically i'm suppose obey licence rules and in case if i derivate one package from another i'm suppose keep copyright of original package under or above the mine.

My question is more about where is the border between “derivate” and “be inspired by”,
or more specifically, if derivated package contain just some general code from original package and functionality itself is not as rich as in original package, so can i or should i mentioned author just from the principle of principle or not ? :)

@Šaman There is point :)

Filip Procházka
Moderator | 4668
+
+1
-

Yes, english forum is prefered, but there are not many people that are able (or have time) to answer. When you write in czech all the czech community can respond.

About the license… The best is always to ask yourself… how would you like others to behave, when it was your package? At least you'd want an attribution.

You created your package using the work of @brabijan (and others) so you must at least have all the copyright notices right. I would suggest you to add line with your name after @brabijan's to the license file and publish it like that.

Or even better, think about whether or not your changes could be of any help to others and if they could be merged to the original package. You should create new lib only if you've sure the changes are too big.

andering
Member | 7
+
-

@FilipProcházka Thank you.